Thursday, June 2, 2011

ROUND TEN: New(ish) Comics for May 18, 2011

I could make an excuse for why these reviews are two weeks late, but I won't. I'd rather jump straight into reviewing some comics. In the interest of getting these done as quickly as possible I'm going to do another lightning round.

Here's what I bought two weeks ago.

X-Factor #219
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #158
Zatanna #13
Supergirl #64
Uncanny X-Force #10
Fables #105
Power Girl #24
Booster Gold #44
Superman/Batman #84
Deadpool Max #8
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #7
Li'l Depressed Boy #4
Generation Hope #7

In case you didn't know it already, don't ever... evereverevereverevereverEVER mess with Monet. Also, there hasn't been a bad issue of this comic since it started, so... yeah.
SCORE: +1









Another series that hasn't ever had a bad issue, this one builds up to the final (?) showdown between Peter Parker and Norman Osborne. All the hype built up around the Death of Spider-Man storyline definitely works in this issue's favor, as the last panel is a cliffhanger that leans in a very specific direction. And it's not a good one. For Peter, that is. It's a good one for readers.
SCORE: +1






Brother Night is back and I'm a little surprised to find myself looking forward to what's going to happen. It doesn't hurt that Jamal Igle's art is kind of awesome. The news of DC's relaunch is a bitter pill to swallow with regards to books like this that have been consistently enjoyable.
SCORE: +1








This issue wraps up what should have been Nick Spencer's first arc and I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to be remembered (if at all): The Supergirl arc that Nick Spencer wrote a little of. The best part of this issue is that Kelly Sue DeConnick will be writing it next month. It wasn't awful, though.
SCORE: 0








I still need to catch up to this issue so no review. Sorry.
SCORE: ???











When two wind gods get together there's gonna be a whole lot of talk in the air and that's exactly what happens in this issue. Bigby and his father the North Wind have a long talk. It's a good thing this is Fables and that's exactly what this series does well.
SCORE: +1








Somebody who wrote a better review of this issue gave it a middling score because of the way it jumps around. I find that I agree with that review.
SCORE: 0










I like everything about this book. The writing and dialog are snappy and the art is stylish and has a sense of quickness to it. Kieron Gillen's and Salvador Espin have a good thing going here, and this is another solid issue.
SCORE: +1










I wrote a whole thing over at Luke's site, socialfist.com, about how much we all suck for letting this book get cancelled and reading this issue just makes it even more sucky that it's not going on past issue #12. This book is AMAZING. Read it now before everyone else figures out what they're missing and it becomes the trendy thing to do.
SCORE: +1







I'm still not caught up with this series so I didn't read this issue, either.
SCORE: ???











This isn't a spoiler anymore for two reasons: 1) it's two weeks old, so if you haven't read it by now that's your own fault, and 2) issue #11 just came out this week (making it three or four issues in a row this book has come out every two weeks) and the gang is going to the Age of Apocalypse. I have a theory regarding this book, that Rick Remender is taking everything that was terrible about 90s Marvel Comics and making it awesome. More on this later.
SCORE: +1





This was such an easy choice for Best Comic Book of the Week. Pretty much everything I read this week was really good, but this was way ahead of the pack. It's a bit heavy handed, but in the right way, if that makes any sense. Basically, it's going to make you angry because anger is the only decent and human response to the things that happen in this issue. The fill-in artist, Hendry Prasetya does a pretty fantastic Sami Basri impression, too. Just really well done all around.
SCORE: +2





Oh, man. How could a comic book called "The Li'l Depressed Boy" be this good? Does that make me a bad person? Or worse; a hipster? I don't even care. LDB is super fun even when it demolishes you like this issue did to me. This is My Favorite Comic Book of the Week.
SCORE: +2







Good gentlepeople, let us tally the scores, shall we? RESULTS!

Marvel: 5
DC: 3
Image: 2
Vertigo: 1

That was actually closer than I thought it would be. If I would just hurry up and get caught up on all my series DC might not have perished along with Image and Vertigo when their spaceship crashed landed on Earth, forcing them to seek out one worthy to carry on the mantle of Green Lantern.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment