Wednesday, June 29, 2011

ROUND 21: Comics For June 29, 2011 Vacation Edition

Welcome to week 1 of Vacation Comics-Athon. When I met the effluvious (not a real word) Rusty Shackles I ended up grabbing an issue I was looking for of the Rocketeer Adventures and I stopped off at the wonderful Laughing Ogre Comics in Columbus, Ohio on Sunday and along with a new Transmetropolitan volume and the Nextwave complete TPB I got a few comics I'd not seen before.

Back Rack, Meshach and Abendnego


Rocketeer Adventures #2
I will repeat that if I am aware that there is an attractive Betty Page-ish girl in a book, I will be more likely to buy it. It is the same rule that got me to finally get a copy of The Spirit #14 reviewed in Round 15 that I bought for similar reasons. So far my belief that Betty Page look-alikes in comics mean quality has stood up. The new Rocketeer Adventures is a fun blast of nostalgia with wildly different stories, brassy dames and wonderful art. And everything requires little knowledge of the world or setting so you can pick up these books.
Favorite Comic
Score: +2


Gladstone's School For World Conquerors
I like supervillains and I too have desired to conquer the world. Gladstone's is a place I would like to go fully of interesting and bright characters, storylines that are shaping up to something and a fun environment. If I had kids I'd give them this book and if I weren't going to get visited by the police I'd hand this book out to kids on the street. The book is a lot of fun so hook up a younger reader.
Score: +1




The Sandman Presents Petrefax
Petrefax came from that Sandman story World's End where he decided to leave his master to explore the worlds and this story follows the young mortician on his journey. The problem is the journey is full of tropes with confusing characters and really a lack of wonderment leaving it a very dry story, at least for me. While I found the characters interesting nothing ever felt vital or at risk and the 100 pages quickly became a bore to read through. It lacks the fun or magic of Gaiman but it is far from horrible. In the end like a corpse it is very dry.
Score: +0


Hulk-Sized Mini-Hulks
I decided to try another kids book this week because I'd see the Mini-Hulks back up feature and decided to give it a try. HSMH left me without much enjoyment. The jokes follow a painfully dull format. While it is a gag a day style strip, that in no way means it has to be dull. What could be an enjoyable book just feels like a newspaper strip with better printing qualities. I'd not give this to a kid.
Score: -1




The Spirit #14
This may be my favorite single issue ever. I reviewed it twice, I've kept on rereading it. It is a great issue of comics. BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT!

Score: + All The Points



































IDW: +2
Veritgo: +0
Image: +1
Marvel: -1
DC: + All The Points

...and then DC got all the points for the week. See you next week internet when I pick up some comics with Joe Hunter of Changeling and then I yell at him I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment