Tuesday, June 21, 2011

ROUND 17: Comics For June 15, 2011

Sorry for the lateness DC Versus Marvels, I was in the semi-final Finals Crisis. The next two weeks might be shaky as I am on break but let's talk about some comics. And then check out my new web comic Changeling.

No images this week since it is almost 3 and I am pooped.

Since I no longer can read stuff off of the racks, I present my new old issue series:
Back Rack, Meshach and Abendnego

Ghost Rider 0.1
I have no familiarity with Ghost Rider besides the movie and the Deadpool Team-Up. I know he rides a motorcycle and he has a flaming skull and he kills all the demons. Other than that I believe his name is Jonathan Ghostriderson, his bike is a ghost - thus he is the Ghost Rider.
In this issue Point One that came out a week or so ago, Jonathan Ghostriderson makes a deal with a stranger so he can stop riding on ghosts. And Jonathan is like "ok" so he drives SO FAST that he turns into a normal human. And then the show a last Ghost Rider because skelebone tits sell comics.
In all seriousness though, I have a problem with heroes giving up powers and especially Jonathan Ghostriderson. I mean he got his powers from the Devil and I don't think the Devil likes regifting. And I don't understand from this issue why Jonathan Ghostriderson gives up his powers. This ain't an introduction - it's just an exiting point. Point one. BAM!
Score: -1

MADMAN: ALL-NEW GIANT-SIZE SUPER GINCHY SPECIAL!
So Niles got this a while ago but when I rode all the way out to the store again to get Superman that didn't actually come out, I picked up this series.
I read the first collection of Madman back at work, loved it but never got to the other volumes and yet I was fine jumping into the special which contains 4 super fun stories. Pick it up.
Score: +2 Best Comic (Old)

Fear Itself: Alpha Flight #1
I know little about Alpha Flight except they die a lot and they are Canadian and the Fear Itself tie-in doesn't work as well if you are not as up to date with their current history and who died and who is on whoms side. I don't know. The comic didn't sit well with me despite my Pak and Van Lente fandom. Too much inner politics and character stuff I am not familiar with. I picked up the series because of the team and I felt let down.
Score: +1

Hulk #35
So last time Red Hulk, Rulk/Thunderbolt Ross, crashlanded on an alien planet, was forced to be a gladiator and the Planet Hulked in a single issue and became the king. This issue faces him off against the enemy king while a super destructive robot searches for the Red Hulk for revenge. Then as the Rulk destroys the enermy rival king with advanced war tactics, Rulk is pulled off the planet by a Watcher. Apparently the entire plan was to trap the robot in a time loop that could only be caused by Planet Hulk happening again and... seriously Jeff Parker, this felt life a weird let down, not to mention confusing.
Score: +1

Batman/Superman #85
After a miniseries with Superman and Batman as magic future wizards it can be a tough act to follow. The first issue of the Secret is not a strong following act. I understand not everything needs to follow in town with comics but a series where Batman and Superman are fighting over secret identities and jobs and Batman making a mistake I have issues. I mean, the story starts with the reader being forced to question whether or not Batman killed someone - Batman the man who does not kill! And apparently Bruce is screwing over investors and Superman is trying to do the right thing. I love that the book has Superman using his powers and using them in fun ways but the rest of the comic sits with me wrong.
Score: -1

Avengers Academy #15
Fear Itself visits the Avengers Academy! Hank Pym tries to keep the students out of harms way only for the government to put them right back in it. Avengers Academy continues to be my favorite book and it is an easy pick for this week's Best Comic.
Score: +2

Double Flashpoint: Legion of Doom/Grodd of War
I don't know. Legion of Doom I got for the pin and out of hopes it would be good. Grodd of War I got because it was a book about a talking evil gorilla. Neither were good or intelligent or entertaining. I just put them as one title to cut down on DC's point loss.
Score: -1

Justice League: Sacked
It is a comic where football players in Hawaii team up with the Justice League to fight Black Manta and Oceanmaster to protect their Subway. And it is like 8 pages long. And it made those Flashpoint comics readable. If this were a real comic it might be my favorite because it is about footballers fighting supervillains for Subway.
Score: +1

Dungeons and Dragons #8
I feel old when my common comics complaint is I forget what is happening in the issues and storyline. The group ends up in the Feywild, they help a gnome, the gnome betrays them and then the gnomes get attacked and some elf guy is after his daughter. It meant nothing much too me. Going to reread during break.
Score: +0

Avengers #14
Rulk Vs Hammer Possessed Ben Grimm! It is a battle for the Bronx and all of New York as the Crimson Crusher faces the Ever-hating Red Eyed Hammer Possessed Thing! Plenty of action! Plenty of cracking and it brings down the entire house and possibly the Rulk!
Favorite Comic!
+2

DC: - 1
IDW: +0
Image: +2
Marvel: +3

It was a weak week for comics all around. Nothing struck me all that well especially after a few weeks of really good comics. Ennngh. Maybe today will be better. Be back later internets!

No comments:

Post a Comment