Sunday, June 5, 2011

ROUND 13: Comics For June 1, 2011

An update so late in the week? What am I? A vampire? No. That is silly. What does being a vampire have to do with posting late in the week.
Truth be told DC Vs Marvelers, I have been busy this week. Relatives, homework, freelance work, no sleep and a myriad of other forces teamed up with the thing to bring me down man.
The notes this week might be weird since I took them a while ago and I don't wanna reread everything. Too tired.

Blast From The Past (Weekly) Review
Onslaught Unleashed #4
I don't know about Onslaught Unleashed. I picked it up originally because if they are bringing back Prof X's evil mind baby with Magneto and the baby is canon then sign me up. Onslaught tried to possess Rikki Barnes/Nomad, the alternate Bucky and then her teammates the Young Allies and the Secret Avengers tried to stop them. The art was good but the storytelling was unclear. Apparently the brother of Toro, a Young Ally, was there and doing something and it was confusing. At the end I think they sealed Onslaught away again but it maybe didn't happen. I just don't even know.
Score: -1

The Incredible Hulks #629
Last time on The Incredible Hulks, Tyrannus the immortal emperor turned into a giant god while holding Pandora's box (which was really an urn). Betty Ross, the Red She-Hulk, and the Hulk were teamed up to stop him. After she gets beat down and untransforms, she learns if she transforms again she will be stuck. The ending of the arc was a bit disappointing but it worked for the characters and the art was good as always. I am just sad that none of the recent arcs have been up to Planet Hulk or World War Hulk levels of fun. Still, Greg Pak has one final arc to run and I look forward to this, this upcoming week!
Score: 0

Power Man and Iron Fist #5
Power Man and Iron Fist wrapped up this week as much as it will for a miniseries. The duo fought NeoNazis with kicking and resolved the issues but I left a bit confused over some of the plotline and it could probably use a reread. Check it out, the characters are well done and the art is good. People also get kicked a lot and in a month or so it will be out as a trade.
Score: +1






Off The Racks!:
Quick Side Note: DC, I am aware you want to push Super 8 on comic readers and I appreciate that you have it in our books without increasing the prices but I have yet to read it because YOU ALWAYS PUT IT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COMICS. I'd rather read it in the back of book, you know, like I do with back up features. And this is in every DC book I bought. DC, suck an egg for now and stop putting the comic in the center.

Fear Itself: The Deep #1
The series is written by Cullen Bunn the guy behind not only the very great The Sixth Gun but also the Superman/Batman arc with magical Batman from the future. The series has Attuma with an evil got hammer kicking Namor and Loa (an X-man) out of Atlantis and taking over. Namor called on Dr. Stranger from the Defenders to bring the team back. Due To Dr Strange not being the Sorceror Supreme anymore though he summons Lyra (alternate future She-Hulk) instead, though the fact that Hulk has a god hammer might also factor in. There is punching and they round out the team with the Silver Surfer. I am excited to see where this goes and you should give the series a try.
Score: +1

Herc #4
Herc flies on a griffin, finds the use behind belt pouches, gets stabbed and beaten and keeps on ticking.
Favorite Comic Book Of The Week
Score: +2
Pope, But He's Made Of Chocolate #87
Despite a very weird release schedule the newest issue of PBHMC does not fail to deliver. In the last issue back in February, The Choco Pope ended up being melted and poured into a devil mold. Luckily in this issue, Choppowsi, CP's half helicopter roommate/president of the Vatican comes in to help. He uses the chopper blades to remold the CP into the normal form, but now with a machine gun with holy water. Next issue CP fights Baron Von Satin.
Score:+1


Heroes For Hire #8
When we last left our Heroes For Hire, Spider-man was fighting velociraptors in a cage fight controlled by Batroc the Leaper and the mysterious employer of him and the the Puppetmaster (who had controlled Misty Knight earlier). Misty comes into help with Satana and fun stuff happens. Raptors are punched, Batroc leaps and nudity happens.
Score: +1





Hulk #34
So I mentioned earlier that I liked Planet Hulk and this Planet Red Hulk walks a thin line. Rulk is called to look at an anomally, is pulled into a portal and is put onto a barbaric planet. Spoilers Follow.Then Rulk kills the king and takes over in one issue. HAHAHAHAHAHA. I cried a bit. I look forward to where this series arc will go to.
Score: +1





Thunderbolts #158
We've already seen the Juggernaut getting the hammer and breaking the Raft so this focuses on our heroic villains finding out. The team is fighting techno zombies when they discover the Raft has been destroyed and instead of running off they decide to police the island prison. The art and the writing in this book are wonderful and there is a reason I still love to recommend this book.
Score: +1




Hellboy The Fury #1
I like Hellboy though I've not read a lot of the comics but the series does a good job catching the reader up to what may be the most important Hellboy story yet. Pick it up to read it though if you like the series at all. I would like to see Mignola draw this though but what can I say.
Score: +1






Static Shock Special
The Troy McDuffie-esqe memorial issue that wasn't really a memorial was a very good comic. I never read the Static Shock series but I grew up with the TV show as a kid. Virgil/Static's father is released from prison after being wrongly incarcerated thanks to Virgil's work but the past catches up too fast. I do wish I had read more of the comic but the issue is really good this week.
Score: +1




Amazing Spider-Man #663
I am honestly divided on the character of Anti-Venom since he is evil but he cures people and I don't know. Unlike Slott's other work up to this point the most recent arc seems to involve some more obscure-ish canon (at least to me). A new crime fight is after Mister Negative whom Anti-Venom is also after. Mister Negative's alternate identity is that of a very charitable person Spider-man knows. Thus conflict. I am interested in where this goes but I am cautious.
Score: +1



Feat Itself Book #3
Fear Itself actually tells a story and has action compared to Flashpoint 2. A buncha stuff happens, the Thing gets a hammer, Bucky-Cap fights Sin-Skadi and Thor gets the hell out of Dodge-Asgard with a time limit to return before Ragnarok happens... again? (I only think Ragnarok happened previously in Marvel Thor, I might be wrong.)
Score: +1





Uncanny X-force #11
Last time we met out heroes we found Archangel is destined to be the next Apocalypse unless the X-force get a Life Seed that will cured/kill/ultra-die Apocalypse. The problem - they have to go into the Age of Apocalypse Universe to do this. The bigger problem - their guide is Dark Beast, Apocalypse's servant. Oh, and one more problem - the remaining resistance force just saw the X-force with Dark Beast.
Score: +1




Weird Worlds #6
Oh god I am glad this is done. Lobo story was confusing as butts. Garbage Man is apparently going to have his own series in the DC line. Tanga I just stopped reading three pages in. Good riddance.
Score: -1







Moon Knight #2
Moon Knight had a magical costume to switch between super powers and identities and while this sounds cool it could have been better. His Spider-man powers are pretty much a worse version of the Spider-man toys you'd get with a kids meal wherein they shoot a hard plastic web. Wolverine is simple enough but yeah. Moon Knight fights evil prostitutes and then has sex with one who was undercover. This was a major drop from the last issue that I loved so much.
Score: -1



Flashpoint #2
We see a bit about Aquaman and Wonder Woman fighting pirate Deathstroke and it clears things up? Also Flash thinks Reverse Flash is messing with him since his costume ring has a Reverse Flash Costume. Flash decides he needs to be repowered so he has alternate Batman hook him up to a machine to recreate his powers. If only the Flash would die instead.
Score: 0




Avengers Academy 14.1
The Avengers Academy kids have to ask a tough question - were they better off joining the team and learning to use their powers. The .1 issue has the kids meeting their almost alumni including a boy who calls himself the Alchemist . They find almost everyone is doing well - but is there something darker going on? The issue was well written, fun and the art was great.
Best Comic Of The Week
Score: +2



Scores:
Marvel - 9
DC - 0
Dark Horse - 1
Noncomm - 1

The House That Jack Built still is my personal winner. If there are any DC Comics you want me to check out next week, leave a comment and I'll see what I can do.

Join me next week for Frankenstein Vs Frankenstein: The Miniseries Fight To The Death.

Next Week's Pull List:
Flashpoint: Frankenstein
Superman
Spider-man
Deadpool
Fear Itself: Deadpool
Fear Itself: Fearsome Four
Incredible Hulks
Mystery Men
New Avengers
Ultimate Spiderman

Stuff I Forgot:
Wolverine and Herc: Mutants, Myths and Monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment