Thursday, May 5, 2011

ROUND FIVE: Comics For May 4, 2011 - Luke

Hey There DC Vs Marvelers, Luke "Koltreg" the LBFA Intern and writer from the webcomic Socialfist reporting in. Were you aware that to make money I get paid to read comics? Ok, I don't really get paid just to read comics. I do have access to a comics though since I work there and you can't bag and board straight for 8 hours. I've tried and I started to become part of the Brood. I read a lot of comics and when I saw Niles doing this blog I decided to offer my hat. And then Niles gave me his hat and it got confusing because I lost my metaphorical hat and had his but there weren't any real hats and...
I'm just rambling now so let's just get on to comics reviews.


Annual Deadpool #1
The Secret Wars Annual series continues to hit it hot on the iron for me. This issue focuses on Deadpool meeting alternate Deadpool who is really Victor Von Doom and alternate Doom who is really Deadpool but with magic and evil and he had MODOK, Hammerhead, Kingpin and Bob as henchmen. Oh and Bruce Banner is the Sorcerer Supreme who banished the Hulk. The episode had me laughing and I ended up rereading it a few times (and this is Wednesday I am writing this).
Favorite Comic Of The Week. Score: +2




Avengers Academy Giant-Size #1
I'm a big fan of the Avengers Academy as well as Spider-girl who recently got chopped series wise so this special with Arcade was really enjoyable. Death traps, team up and romance?!? I really enjoyed this issue and I hope that Spider-Girl might find a family with one of these groups when her series ends.
Score: +1






Avengers Academy #13
More Avengers Academy that deals with stuff in a weird way since the 80 page special took place before the Korvac mini-arc. This issue deals with a dance for the supervillains and since the issue didn't focus on someone selling locker space for people to store coats, I have no idea if dances are like this. Drama breaks out, issues are resolved and Hank Pym gets it on making him a furry. Overall really enjoyable and everyone ends up covered in balls.
Score: +1




Weird Worlds #5
Originally I got the series to find out what the deal with Lobo is and I got knock off Swamp Thing and kinky space girl as bonuses. There's only one more issue left in the mini series and I am not sure how it will keep on going for some of the stories. The Lobo and Tanga bits are decent enough but having a guy whose nickname is Garbage Man who then becomes a man made out of garbage pushes it down a bit.
Score: +0




Heroes For Hire #6
The first arc of Heroes For Hire ended last week but the hunt to stop the drugs and such continues this week with Spider-man and Paladin teaming up. Drama occurs when Paladin reveals he is annoyed by Spider-man and his altruistic goodness as opposed to paladin working for money. I will confess though, Spider-man in this series is pretty annoying so I will side with Paladin.
Score: +0




Axe Cop #3
It has been pretty wonderful to get Axe Cop in print since it reads so much better this way and the coloring is wonderful. The story succinctly wraps up the mini-series but the ending left a bad taste in my mouth though I laughed which made it better.
Score: +1






Moon Knight #1
Niles/Tribe One/ the guy whose blog I am posting on got me into Moon Knight and sent me down a dark lonely road of hunting down toys and comics (thanks!) so when I heard Bendis was taking over I got excited. Then the ads came with Moon Knight being part Wolverine, Cap and Spider-man and I got worried. Then I got to the end and I was ecstatic and super pleased.
Score: +1




Fear Itself: Spider-man
I came in prepared to like the issue since I liked the first Fear Itself and Journey Into Mystery and I like Spider-man. This issue just stomped on my buzz though. Theres 5 concurrent stories running or so, three about people dealing with fear, 1 with Spider-man and then 1 with rats. Spider-man is freaking out and it is dismal and dreary and generally not enjoyable even in a masochistic sort of way.
Score: -1




Fear Itself #2
I've been looking forward to issue 2 and the story sets up well with Odin preparing for war and hammers dropping all over the world. The Hulk, Juggernaut, Titania and a few other people get hammers that seem to partially mind control them. Hulk is going totally berserk and The Juggernaut is full on evil which is sad since I've been enjoying his tenure on Thunderbolts as a reformed villain. Chances are though that at the end everything will be hunky dory.
And then Washington D.C. get attacked.
Score: +1




Uncanny X-force #9
Magneto knows about X-force so he has Wolverine kill a Nazi. The end. Not much team dynamics, since we see Magneto fighting them in the preview for 2 issues later it won't mean much. I will say though, I've been enjoying this series well enough that one off issue won't bug me. Niles is free to disagree on Wolverine and Nazi killing.
Score: +0






Herc #2
I've been reading through Incredible Hercules trades at work since hearing so much about it on War Rocket Ajax and I've been enjoying them. The fact that I get a new Herc series by the fathers of the new Herc, Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente, only strengthens the deal. Herc ends up fighting the Hobgoblin, wins the love of the people, saves the bar from the Kingpin and so much more. I am liking Herc's time away from Amadeus Cho and the fact that he is a bartender also intrigues me. Will he need to take the Bartender's Exam? Can he make a quality White Russian? I doubt these important questions will be answered unless I ask them on the Twitter. (According to Greg Pak, Herc is working as a dubiously legal bartender and he can absolutely make a White Russian.)
Best Comic Of The Week. Score + 2


So this week's scores were as follows
Marvel +7 with both Best and Favorite Comic Of The Week
DC +0
Dark Horse +1

It was pretty much a Marvel heavy week for me so they easily won. No Superman or Batman or Superman/Batman or even Brightest Day which I read for... it is free to read. I'm interested in Niles' thoughts on the comics and what his score is so we can then argue and lose our friendship over who was right and wrong (he was right, I was wrong but for the right reasons but only in an alternate dimension).

I'll see you all next week around Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment